11 October, 2018

Milestones along the way

After months of poor learning and non updating this blog, I have a new wind in me. I set a target for myself. It's true that universal goal for me is to learn 2136 Kanji (and some Japanese along the way) but now I understand that this goal is too far away to motivate me. I need a closer destination to aim for. To put milestones along my long journey if you must.
The best way I found is the proficiency exam (JLPT). This exam contains five levels N5-N1, while the N5 is the easiest. It contains not only Kanji, but also vocabulary and grammar, so it will force me to study Japanese as whole.
Unfortunately in 2010 the ministry of education in Japan stopped publishing the official lists of Kanji, needed for each level of the exam. So for now the numbers are approximate:
N5 ~100
N4 ~300
N3 ~650
N2 ~1,000
N1 ~2,000
And what left after the level N1 to the 2136 characters.
Now my journey is divided into small parts and I can concentrate on every part individually. Moreover, I intend to take the proficiency exams along the way.

What am I signing for? A little scary...


No comments:

Post a Comment